Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 00:21:03 EEST

>Yeh but this isn't doze or mac world. The only reason there is such a
>proliferation of stuff on those other platforms is because they sell it.
>We don't so why do we have so much competition? AFAIK we are the ones
>who aren't in it for the money. Not that money is evil or anything or
>even if it is evil that it is bad or anything.
>
>Linux is a community and the people designing the sound editors are not
>really cooperating on that level at the mo. It feels like that is
>passing though.

As you have seen, even just today, we don't all agree on the right way
to do things. Thats true of internals and user interfaces. And because
this a "free community", we're not wasting (much) time trying to force
or convince each other that "i'm right, you're wrong". Instead, we
each get on with our own approaches to things, and you guys who are
not developers get to enjoy and/or despise the results.

I mean, sure, I'd love it if Richard, Alex and the other GLAME guys
realized how vastly superior Ardour was to GLAME in every way, and
immediately gave up their development efforts so they could help me
out. Not to mention Werner recognizing the absolute incoherent
stupidity of having used Qt, and deciding to merge all of MusE into
Ardour via Gtk--. On the other hand, me, stop what I'm doing ? Are you
kidding ? :)))))))))

--p

ps. i trust my tongue-firmly-in-cheek tone comes across adequately to
    non-native-english speakers on the list.