Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 12:11:07 EEST

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> My reason is that there are so many editors to chose from I can only
> really be bothered with contributing to 3 of them seriously.

I think for contributing to even 3 is a lot...

> Have the Glamers bothered to install ardour yet? What about sweep? Or
> audacity?

I failed to compile Ardour (well, I stopped compiling it after half an
hour fighting with libs), I tried sweep, at audacity I had a look at
the screenshots and the code (didnt compile it because I dont have
wxWindows lying around).

> I just spent the past two days getting all the editors I could find and
> testing them out. All I wanted was to cut some fluff off a medium sized
> stereo file. The only one I could use is Audacity because it was the
> only one I could fully install that would actually save a large file
> (even then it was from cvs). Now I would like to put some Ladspa effects
> on the file but find if I do it in Audacity then I have to write the
> code myself.

Yup, that seems to be a part audacity needs to be extended - ladspa
support is quite important these days.

> I'm struck by the futility of doing this for yet another
> sound editor because if i could use glame, sweep, ardour, ecasound,
> other editor that has LADSPA support, then I wouldn't have to spend my
> energy on implementing the same code again. I also note that by the time
> I finish writing said code I'll probably be able to use one of the other
> apps to do what I want anyway.
>
> At the moment we have so many competing ways of doing the same thing but
> hardly any of it is entirely useful. If we just combined all the ideas
> into the same editor then we would get a lot more progress. I'm sure we
> are capable of making it so that the gui can be extended in any way.
>
> To put it bluntly. LAD make a mockery of the idea of lazy hackers.
> Everyone is trying to do the same thing over and over and over and.....

Well, people dont stop development on their apps they worked on for
one and a half year - this will not happen.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/