Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 01:29:36 EEST

>Reasonable people differ here. For example, the autoconf authors
>(http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/autoconf/).

One of the simplest and least-dependent configure.in files you'll find :)

>I think it's a better idea to include configure in CVS. Some macros only
>exist in certain versions of autoconf, and other variables may enter into
>play that make building it on the fly problematic.

Thats precisely why I don't think it should be in CVS. If you can't
get your system to run the autoconf tools correctly on the
configure.in file, the chances are you've got a lot more trouble
coming down the line. Better to catch that in the very first instance,
rather than leave it till later. libtool in particular can be a source
of tremendous pain if not caught correctly at this stage.

Furthermore, if a user has local hacks to the autoconf tools so that
certain things work correctly on their system, they will never appear
in the configure script.

--p