Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 01:50:46 EEST

* To linux-audio-dev_AT_music.columbia.edu (joshua_AT_haberman.com) wrote:
> * Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net) wrote:
> > First, you need to generate the autoconf scripts and Makefiles, since
> > these are not stored in CVS:
> >
> > cd $AD/quasimodo/libs
> > sh autogen.sh
> >
> > This is standard CVS practice. "configure" *NEVER* lives in CVS -
> > its generated by the autoconf tools, and generated files do not belong
> > in CVS. Thats why autogen.sh exists, and this is the standard
> > technique used by all CVS+autoconf packages I have seen. autogen.sh
> > also builds many other files needed by the autoconf/automake tools.
>
> Reasonable people differ here. For example, the autoconf authors
> (http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/autoconf/).

I realized after sending this that in the case of autoconf, this may be
necessary for bootstrapping. However, there are other notable examples
such as python
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/dist/src/).
Just do a google search on "cvsweb configure" and you'll go through pages
and pages of cvs repositories that include a generated configure script.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>