Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 22:53:44 EEST

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001, you wrote:

> Benno Senoner wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 01 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > im curious about this low latency stuff.
> > >
> > > im running csound and timidity together, and there are times when the
> > > sound hacks badly, even though the cpu isnt very loaded.
> > >
> > > is this kind of thing solved with this low latency patch?
> > > (given that i run both in realtime mode?)
> > >

> > The lowlatency patch helps but does not guarantee that the apps will be
> > glitch-free, even if you run both apps in realtime mode.
> > The apps must be designed to take advantage of low latency and unfortunately
> > most of the existing ones are not.
>
> Does the scheduling algorithm survive if you invoke another application with
> execv?

what do you mean with "survive" ?
Do you mean if the execv'ed process inherits the SCHED_FIFO scheduling ?
yes. (I'm only 99.99% sure so if I did say nonsense correct me please)

Robert (as everyone on this list) I'd like you to speak out too on the future
LAD portal issues. (see my other mail VOTE)

cheers,
Benno.