Re: [linux-audio-dev] linuxaudiodev.org .. Was: portal ... Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linuxaudiodev.org .. Was: portal ... Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 15:43:03 EEST

Benno Senoner wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> > Benno Senoner wrote:
> > >
> > > I propose to use the domainname I registered some time ago (after asking around
> > > the lad folks if this name was ok) , linuxaudiodev.com as our site's official
> > > domainname.
> > >

> > The only real complaint I have about linuxaudiodev.com is the ".com"
> > part. I prefer ".org" then ".net" especially for open Linux related
> > stuff. I've seen a lot of sites get the .com part too and just have it
> > redirect to the .org/.net site. .org or .net just seem more community
> > oriented rather than company oriented. Lates..
>
> Damn nitpickers !
> :-)
>
> I registered linuxaudiodev.org too ! (you owe me a beer Josh :-) )

great news. i share josh's view. IMHO .org domains are more
sympathetic, and we *are* non-profit knights for a better world :)
it's a pity the old top-level namespace has become so polluted, and
folks just register whatever they an get hold of, no matter which
category fits best.

anyway, good to have the corresponding .com domain, too.

> (We can then as you suggested redirect the .com to the .org since dummies enter
> usually enter www.SOMENAME.com when they search something)
>
> PS: so far only 11 people (including myself) have voted what kind of homepage
> they prefer.

i'm willing to support whatever decision is reached.
after a closer look at the faq capabilities of 'nuke i think the
results could be very good.

however, all search catalogs and existing links to lad assume that
it's a simple homepage for a *mailing list*.
that means we should either keep the list information on page one of
the new site (as on the current page) or at least put up a *very
prominent* link to the actual list information.

that's why my vote is "extra page" for news and a static entry page
with list info only.

however, i'm prepared to say goodbye to my old, trusted site layout
(sniff), and would like to advocate the use of a phpnuke template
(but without interactive elements) for the entry page, too. this
way, we have consistent 'nuke look-and-feel throughout the site.
which category in the poll is that ?

all the best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany