Re: [linux-audio-dev] linuxaudiodev.org .. Was: portal ... Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linuxaudiodev.org .. Was: portal ... Re: Low Latency Kernel Combos
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 16:56:59 EEST

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> btw, benno, do we need banner ads on the new lad site ?
>
> of course, he who pays the site makes the ad policy, but i'd prefer
> to have no ads at all.
> not even linkxchange or target-group-tailored audio stuff.
> i'd be willing to pay a share of the hosting costs to accomplish
> this.
>
> of course, this doesn't mean i'm opposed to revive the old idea of a
> LAD webring.

No we do not need any ads to cover hosting.
I've already got a dedicated box for the P2P sites I run with a few friends
so hosting the LAD site on it too is not going to make any difference. (I do
not pay per bandwidth)

But I think perhaps some kind of LAD webring where we run banners that
promote projects/sites belonging to the linux audio topic would be a good
thing.
(just in a similar way that sourceforge / OSDN does (I saw a few banners about
alsaplayer)

> i'm willing to support whatever decision is reached.
> after a closer look at the faq capabilities of 'nuke i think the
> results could be very good.
>
> however, all search catalogs and existing links to lad assume that
> it's a simple homepage for a *mailing list*.

I think we should regard the new site not merely as the homepage of a
mailinglist but as the home of the linux audio development both for
the developers and the endusers.
I think that such a site will help to build a nice community around the linux
audio field, regardless if they are top notch developers or newbies willing to
enter the linux audio world.

> that means we should either keep the list information on page one of
> the new site (as on the current page) or at least put up a *very
> prominent* link to the actual list information.

I think the prominent link is the better solution: as said you can customize
the theme so you can insert all stuff you need the upper side of the page too.
The themes have all a header and footer file so if you can easily make a static
page using phpnuke's look and feel.

> that's why my vote is "extra page" for news and a static entry page
> with list info only.
>
> however, i'm prepared to say goodbye to my old, trusted site layout
> (sniff), and would like to advocate the use of a phpnuke template
> (but without interactive elements) for the entry page, too. this
> way, we have consistent 'nuke look-and-feel throughout the site.
> which category in the poll is that ?

We need to make a few experiments what's the best for the site,
personally I think that as long as the navigation menu is prominently shown
on the main page there should not be a problem to display the news on the first
page.
Otherwise we can always resort to the method I proposed (a mix of static and
news page).
But let's make a few experiments first, since we are not a commercial entity
we can afford to experiment as much as we want.

PS: Joern: I think that most of your pages can be recycled by making small
changes like using another template/navbar.
The content of your pages is ok, at max you can if you like it move some of
pages into phpnuke by using its own facilities (like the faq stuff, link stuff
ecc).

But that's up to you.
I'm convinced that if we LAD-ers pool our forces a
bit we will come up with a nice and useful site.
BTW: does have the windows audio world such a site ?
I made a few searches but I found nothing useful.

cheers,
Benno.

--
http://www.linuxaudiodev.com  The Home of Linux Audio Development