Re: [linux-audio-dev] New in this world...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New in this world...
From: Menthor of All Things (menthor_AT_clic-in.com.br)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:59:18 EEST

Josh and ALL,

> I find it hard to give any particular advice as I don't know what you
> want to create or what skills you already have.

Ok, i will answer your questions. Maybe it can help everybody help me! :-)

> Personally, I program in C. Many others program in C++. There are also
> several scripting languages that give you access to audio services.
> Deciding what language you want to program in is a start, generally
> speaking for hi performance applications, C or C++ should be used.

Ok. I want to program in C. I have a backgroud on programming using PASCAL
and i also know C...

> Once you figure out what language you want to program with, you then
> need to decide what audio services you wan't to access.
>
> Digital audio play/record (PCM, Pulse Coded Modulation)
> MIDI sequencer data

For now, only Digital audio play/record...

> The current sound system for Linux is Open Sound System (OSS).
> http://www.opensound.com is the web site for this audio system. Follow
> the "API Specs" link to take you to some documentation on the OSS API.

Ok. I'm pointing my browser there now! :-)

> If you are planning on writing a hi performance application or want to
> do MIDI sequencer related programming, you might want to look at ALSA
> (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). http://www.alsa-project.org.
> Unfortunately documentation on ALSA is currently rather outdated.

For a multitrack recorder is it better to use the ALSA?

What is the easier aproach: ALSA or OSS? hehehe... for now, only record
and play some nonsense will be very exciting!!!! :o)

> No problem. I've heard that Linux is pretty big down in Brazil. My
> brother went there as an American exchange student, he now speaks
> Portuguese quite well and married a Brazilian. Someday I will visit
> Brazil to see why my brother likes it so much :) He offered to translate
> my program the Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net),
> although I'm not sure he would be able to entirely, because he is not
> very computer or music oriented. Good luck learning to write Linux audio
> applications.

I think that you will love Brazil! And you will want to marry some
brazilian girl too! :-)

[]'s

Fabio

---

"EU ODEIO O JEEP CLUBE DO BRASIL"

==================================================================== = Fabio Franco Costa http://www.clic-in.com.br/~menthor/ = = Willys CJ 5 1970 mailto:menthor_AT_clic-in.com.br = = Ainda Anonymous - Amparo (SP) UIN:19415909 = ==================================================================== /"\ \ / Campanha da fita ASCII - contra mail html X ASCII ribbon campaign - against html mail / \