Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 22:57:58 EEST

> I do get a good amount of use out
> of DAP, but it doesn't handle large audio files well.
> I tried to record a dj mix this weekend and went
> through lots of difficulties getting my machine to not
> freeze up while recording an hour of music. We really
> need something that can handle large stereo files.

If all you want to do is record live audio, there is
a very simple command line utility called "wavrec" (I
think it comes with the wavplay distribution) that will
record from the audio inputs directly to a .wav file.

You would it like this:

        wavrec -b 16 -s 44100 -S filename.wav

to record in stereo at 16-bit and 44.1 KHz. You just
give it a Control-C to stop it, although this will cause
the header info to not match the actual length of the
recording (not usually fatal). Or you can use the -t
option to specify how long to record.

- Jay Ts