Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 08:04:30 EEST

   I think some Linux audio projects are really at that point of development
   right now -- the point of the projects are to learn how to do things
   right, not to make a usable tool ASAP. Much like IETF working group
   discussions in the first few years of a new standard. Once there's
   consensus on a topic, I think you'll see consolidation happen pretty
   quickly ... and untill there's consensus, consolidation is counterproductive
   to a good final outcome.

I've been keeping quiet on this particular set of messages for a
while, and you just did a better job of expressing ``why'' than I've
been able to.

We really don't know what a good audio interface should look like, at
present. Right now, I'm using Rosegarden to build MIDI files to
practice my songs for a play I'm in that opens in four days, I'm using
Soundstudio to rip my old vinyl albums and make CDs, and I'm looking
at Beast periodically to think about a software equivalent for the
PAIA synthesizer I build in 1975 that sits on a bookshelf waiting for
me to figure out why the oscillators have stopped oscillating. And I
don't see anything even approaching a common ground.

Over in graphics-land, I'm down to just two apps -- Gimp for general
purpose images, and xfig for drawing. And importing things I've made
with xfig into gimp is easy...

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002