Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:39:22 EEST

Hi,

> I am kind of bemused and slightly frustrated at how things are going in
> linux when it comes to sound editors. There are two projects right now
> where the developers are creating the music version of the Gimp - Sweep
> and Glame. Paul and Taybin are also creating a new editor from scratch
> and Paul has made his point clear on why he feels it is neccesary. Also

Which one will that be?

> While I'm all for diversity and totally respect that you guys are doing
> it purely for the love of it, it seems kind of pointless that all these
> are being worked on seperately. Is there a reason for this indivuality
> that goes beyond a simple case of disorganisation?

Yeah definitely there's a reason :) Just have a look at Unix. There are
always n solutions for one problem. And everyone is convinced that his
approach is the best. On the other hand you put a lot of efforts into
your project and then someone comes and says: "Hey stuff it, we've got
this new really kewl project, join in!" As you know how many really kewl
dead projects are on the net, you think twice. Lately someone posted
twice in our featurelist, that glame is going into a totally wrong
direction and we should join forces with gstreamer. This guy probably
just didn't have one look in our codebase to understand that we're
not a streaming media application, but an audio editor that allows
to setup filter networks.

> So my question is... Is any kind of cohesiveness developing on the sound
> editor front or are we all going to keep fucking around?

Anyway, we are all going to keep fucking around :) I don't think if
I told Kay now "Hey stuff ecasound and join glame" he would be happy,
neither are we. And why not? It's fun. I'm not getting paid. If one
really urgently needs feature X and Y, I'm happy to have a go at it
when I've got time. Or willing to pay me for it, it could be quicker,
otherwise just get one of those commercial apps.

Sorry, to sound a bit harsh, but so was your mail..

Cheers, Alex

--

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be a god. Circum- stances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit. Silence, though, could. It was in the days of the rains that their prayers went up, not from the fingering of knotted prayer cords or the spinning of prayer wheels, but from the great pray-machine in the monastery of Ratri, goddess of the Night. The high-frequency prayers were directed upward through the atmosphere and out beyond it, passing into that golden cloud called the Bridge of the Gods, which circles the entire world, is seen as a bronze rainbow at night and is the place where the red sun becomes orange at midday. Some of the monks doubted the orthodoxy of this prayer technique... -- Roger Zelazny, "Lord of Light"