Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 18:42:08 EEST

Hi Paul,

> Your missing something. I've written about this on alsa-devel many
> times.

Thanks for the wrapup, I tried a long time to get someone explaining
me. Maybe you should write that down as a quickstart and add it
somewhere to the documentation.

> So, if you want to be able to open your Hammerfall and play a 16bit
> stereo interleaved file through it without any work on your part, you
> obviously cannot use the "hw:dev,subdev" layer, because the Hammerfall
> hardware cannot possibly support this. However, if you used the
> "plug:dev,subdev" layer, it works just fine.

Are there more layers than plug and hw?

> alsa-lib is already highly abstracted, but poorly understood because
> its poorly documented. its not as highly abstracted as i want LAAGA to
> be, however.

Definitly poor documented.

> >That's something the layer on top of the h/w should take care of.
>
> I consider this incorrect, in a subtle way. I don't believe that
> applications should be concerned about device configuration at all.

I meant a layer above the hardware, that's what you're talking about as
well. The layer above is the abstracted LAAGA Layer.

> I will be posting the full implementation in a couple of days. Its
> basically an IPC mechanism using shared memory, kill(2) and sockets.

Ok, we'll wait and see.

Cheers, Alex

--

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark Twain