Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 05:51:31 EEST

> I'm looking for a Linux DAW style project to join and hopefully contribute
> to.

> My main requirement is that the project be C based as C++ hurts my head
> too much.

Same here, except for the nausea... :-) But I'm done writing about
that!

> What I'm thinking of is a multi-track recorder type of application with
> plugins for effects and synthesis.

Paul Davis is already hard at work on Ardour which is pretty much
exactly that. Want help, Paul?

> My background is in hardware design and low-level software.

What kind of hardware design? One thing you might consider is
to pick your favorite pro hardware and write a software implementation.
There are so many possibilities!

> Does anybody have anything to recommend?

Yes. It would be my selfish desire that you see if the folks working
on ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) would like any help.
Pick a really cool pro sound card and write an ALSA driver for it!

If you want a challenge, you can contact Echo and see if they
are ready to open up the specs for their line of audio cards
yet. I did that about a year ago and they seemed slightly
open to the idea, but a little too busy writing buggy MacOS
drivers to think about it much.

Next, review everything that's been written here so far on LAAGA
and ask Paul Davis if he wants help writing code! (I personally
would love to see support for MIDI added to the spec.) Please
explain to Paul and everyone else here why LAAGA needs MIDI support
in order to support soft synths and MIDI-controlled effects plugins,
so that I don't have to. ;-)

Once we have a decent LAAGA implementation, we can all go crazy
writing all sorts of audio apps, and they can all interoperate!

> PS : I really don't want this to turn into a C vs C++ advocacy thread.

Thank you; we just almost had one of those and fortunately, everyone
(self included) backed out of it gracefully! Ok, more-or-less gracefully
in my case! :) I'll be better once Mercury and Mars are both direct
again...

Cheers,

- Jay Ts