Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 18:53:29 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> What is LAAGA? I trawled through the LAD archive and found lots of discussion
> on this but nothing explaining what it actually is.

LAAGA: Linux Audio Application Glue API

(It's also a word in Hindi which I do not know the meaning of.)

Description and key issues are at:
http://www.eca.cx/laaga/
Start by reading the messages linked there.

From my perspective as an end-user, the issues addressed by LAAGA, namely using
multiple applications concurrently and cooperatively in a low-latency context,
are by far the most important issues we currently face. It's time to move beyond
the old paradigm of saving the output from one app, loading it into another,
back and forth ad nauseum (and getting nauseous). This will finally free us to
do amazing work without any one application having to provide every capability
under the sun.

If you're looking for a project, may I respectfully recommend that you help out
in any way you are able, to:

1) learn about and keep in mind existing solutions, e.g. artsd, see:
http://www.eca.cx/lad/2001/Apr/0223.html
2) If you feel that something new is needed, and LAAGA is it, help develop a
LAAGA test engine and clients
3) develop test cases for LAAGA

... and, once that's all sorted out, with (let's all pray) some consensus on a
good solution ...

4) help port useful existing applications to whatever we settle on, whether
that's LAAGA, some version of arts, one of Abramo's proposals ...

Current status: AFAIKT, Paul Davis is working on an example implementation to
test with Ardour, while various others are telling him he's doing it the wrong
way. ;-)

For the complete story, you could spend a *long* time reading the archives at
http://www.eca.cx/lad/

This topic pretty much consumed the LAD list since April.
Relevant threads I found, in rough chronological order:

sound API libraries, servers, etc.

Ideas for AES/LAAGA/whatever

LAAGA - main components

LAAGA - key issues

LAAGA - how are we doing ?

Toward a modularization of audio component
 - later mutated into:
Toward a modularizationofaudio component

LAAGA - avoiding fragility

laaga, round 2

high level laaga

An alternative API proposal for LAAGA

costs of IPC

Performance and Elegance? (Was: High Cost of IPC)

Pragmatic comparison of approaches to audio engine

Davis votes for MP, news at 11

LAAGA restrictions

aes: new model

One API for everything (first draft)

matrix model vs. memory

SoundBOX API revised and commented

questions to be resolved

a port/buffer proposal

more fundamental questions

It's time to vote (n. 1)

post-scriptum on API proposal

a central problem with *any* Port model?

sound API libraries, servers, etc.

LAAGA proposal, part ??

laaga implementation news bite

Did I miss anything? :)