[linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 08:35:14 EEST

Jay Ts wrote:

> > I'm looking for a Linux DAW style project to join and hopefully contribute
> > to.
>
> > My main requirement is that the project be C based as C++ hurts my head
> > too much.
>
> Same here, except for the nausea... :-) But I'm done writing about
> that!
>
> > What I'm thinking of is a multi-track recorder type of application with
> > plugins for effects and synthesis.
>
> Paul Davis is already hard at work on Ardour which is pretty much
> exactly that. Want help, Paul?

Ardour is an amazing project but it was my understanding that it was C++
based. On the requirements page it lists a C++ compiler and on the news page
it talks about Gtkmm::something_or_other which looks like the C++ bindings
for GTK+ to me. If I'm wrong about this, please beat me around the head with
the truth.

Anyway, it seems like I have already contibuted to Ardour. PBD is using
libsndfile for import and export of other formats :-).

> > My background is in hardware design and low-level software.
>
> What kind of hardware design?

Mostly digital logic design but some analogue audio as well. For the Fairlight
MFX3+ I designed the last two versions of the custom graphics card and the
current version of the synchronisation hardware (synching to external sources
like word clocks, Linear Time Code, video etc).

> One thing you might consider is
> to pick your favorite pro hardware and write a software implementation.
> There are so many possibilities!

Very many more possibilities than I have time for :-). I would like to contibute
to something that will allow me to make music as soon as possible but will also
allow me to hack on it when it doesn't meet my needs.

> Yes. It would be my selfish desire that you see if the folks working
> on ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) would like any help.
> Pick a really cool pro sound card and write an ALSA driver for it!

I'd prefer to stay away from kernel level stuff as there is a possibility of
conflict with my keep-roof-over-head-put-food-on-table work.

<snip>

> Next, review everything that's been written here so far on LAAGA

What is LAAGA? I trawled through the LAD archive and found lots of discussion
on this but nothing explaining what it actually is.

Cheers,
Erik