Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Digital Audio Workstation in C?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 23:45:17 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:

> The Linux Game Tome is a pretty good example of the type of site that could
> improve on Dave's sysiphian (sp?) efforts:
> http://www.happypenguin.org/

Yes, I agree, the Game Tome is very close to my ideal design for the
Linux Soundapps pages. I have some CGI scripts around that might be able
to come close; I haven't used them because not all my mirrors provide
direct access for me.

> One very useful feature of the game tome that I haven't seen on freshmeat is the
> user ratings - each app is listed with a number of "stars" representing the
> average user rating of the app along with the number of ratings given. This
> could help a bit with the big problem I have with a simple link list: so much
> stuff, and is any of it any good?? It's one of those features that increases in
> utility as more people use it.

Well, there's the DLP's Choice page but I don't update that as much as
it needs. And you're right, there's getting to be so much stuff that
it's unlikely one person can actually try it all.

> OTOH, there are good arguments against such a thing; e.g. if something gets a
> bad rating for version 0.1, it might not be relevant to version 1.0 but it could
> still discourage users from checking it out.
> Perhaps the ratings could be weighted in favor of more recent ratings.

I've had mixed feelings about ratings too. Frankly I decided to ignore a
ratings system in favor of just getting the stuff listed and out there,
but I think user ratings could be very helpful to newcomers (more and
more of them these days :).

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net