Re: [linux-audio-dev] synchronous midi/audio recording

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] synchronous midi/audio recording
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 03:18:46 EEST

>My understanding is that LAAGA currently defines only a free-running
>server. Any client that performs recording, sequencing, arranging, or
>edl based editing must define its own internal timeline.
>
>> personally, the thought of being able to run Muse and Ardour in
>> complete sync with each other makes me very impatient ...
>
>Not too impatient, I hope. What happens when one wants to record MIDI
>in MusE and audio in Ardour simultaneously? And what if the timeline is
>coming from a video tape?

this is dealt with (initially, anyway, and as usual, IMHO) in the
description i have given of an API for LAAGA.

any client (with the consent of the engine and the user) can declare
itself the clock master. if it does, it provides a callback to the
engine to get the current frame time. any other client can always get
the current frame time (with a resolution of the current engine cycle
time) with the engine acting as a kind of proxy (note for
implementation freaks: no RPC or IPC here, not to worry).

if a client cares about the timebase, its has the responsibility to
check the current time during its process() callback , and act
appropriately (given its internal operation) if its not what it is
expecting (i.e. the clock master adjusted time in a non-linear
fashion). i imagine that we might improve on this part of the API if
this thing ever takes off, but for now, this will work.

--p