[linux-audio-dev] the radikal SAC-2K

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] the radikal SAC-2K
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 04:38:10 EEST

Radikal have informed me, and strongly reiterated their position
after an email exchange, that they will not release the specs for the
protocol their very nice control surface uses.

I suggested the comparison with MIDI to them (in that MIDI succeeded
because it Yamaha/Sequential/et al. shared the protocol with the
world). They responded:

   When we publish our protocoll [sic], all the other hardware
   companies can implement our protocoll. This will decrease our
   sales. Then some of our key-features are not any longer unique.

They went on to insist that they need their income.

Obviously, I suggest you avoid Radikal's products. I hope that we will
soon find a h/w control surface manufacturer who will be more
cooperative with the free software and/or open source software worlds.

--p