Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thinking about universal audio station for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Thinking about universal audio station for Linux
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 06:43:03 EEST

> And that's a matter of this message: why somebody could not make a
>powerful audio/MIDI studio, such as Cakewalk Pro Audio or Cubase VST,
>but for Linux. I think it is possible but I'm afraid I cannot do it
>myself. Please, if somebody knows where I can get some manuals about
>sound output (and advanced programming at all) for Linux in the
>Internet, answer me to ng_AT_nm.ru. Or maybe somebody knows some ways to
>create some effects (e.g. 3-D reverb, chorus etc.)?

I (along with a little help from a few other people) have been working
more or less full-time on such a thing for over a year now. Don't
underestimate what's involved. http://ardour.sourceforge.net/ will
show you some of what's been done so far.

> Also if somebody knows where I can get some *powerful* audio software
>for Linux, again, please write me.

The short answer is that at the present time you can't get linux
software that fits into the Cubase/Cakewalk/Samplitude/ProTools
category. There are lots of *very powerful* audio tools for Linux, but
they come from a different mindset. things like csound, jmax,
ecasound, terminatorX, snd etc. all represent great power, but
not the kind that you (and lots of other people) are looking for,
perhaps.

--p