Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 23:49:15 EEST

>> > How does a bus not scale, and what's a crossbar?
>>
>> Crossbar is a graph - a bus is not a graph. A bus has collisions for
>> more than 2 members, a crossbar allows for multiple active connections
>> (if they are mutually exclusieve). But well, its probably off topic.
>> I dont need a bus - you seem to be advocating "bus-and-nothing-else".
>
>I get the feeling you guys are using different definitions of "bus".
>I've taken Paul's use of bus to be like a mix bus on an audio mixing console,
>which basically means: add all input signals and present the result at the
>output. And since we're not talking about analog circuits here, it could be ma
>de
>to work for *any* number of input signals. I don't know what you mean by
>"collisions for more than 2 members".

yes, precisely. i'm talking an analog-audio-style bus, not a
"computer" style bus with a "bus protocol" etc. i think that richard's
term "crossbar" refers to something pretty like an analog-audio-style bus.

any number of signals, mixed at unity gain. nothing more, nothing
less. its an absolutely fundamental object in working with audio, IMHO.

--p