Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 11:08:37 EEST

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Crossbar is a graph - a bus is not a graph. A bus has collisions for
> >> more than 2 members, a crossbar allows for multiple active connections
> >> (if they are mutually exclusieve). But well, its probably off topic.
> >> I dont need a bus - you seem to be advocating "bus-and-nothing-else".
> >
> >I get the feeling you guys are using different definitions of "bus".
> >I've taken Paul's use of bus to be like a mix bus on an audio mixing console,
> >which basically means: add all input signals and present the result at the
> >output. And since we're not talking about analog circuits here, it could be ma
> >de
> >to work for *any* number of input signals. I don't know what you mean by
> >"collisions for more than 2 members".
>
> yes, precisely. i'm talking an analog-audio-style bus, not a
> "computer" style bus with a "bus protocol" etc. i think that richard's
> term "crossbar" refers to something pretty like an analog-audio-style bus.
>
> any number of signals, mixed at unity gain. nothing more, nothing
> less. its an absolutely fundamental object in working with audio, IMHO.

Ok, I then didnt understand what you ment by "bus" - its now clear and
it works similar to the thing I called "crossbar" (but the "crossbar"
does not do mixing, but requires extra mixing nodes - and is type
independend in result)

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/