Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 16:31:26 EEST

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Hammerfall -> D/A converter -> mixer -> monitors
> >> /
> >> QuadraVerb FX -/
> >>
> >> I frequently do not have the Quadraverb connected to anything.
> >
> >So whats the point in having it connected to the mixer then? It just
> >adds noise!? Whats the point in running the app for the Quarda (which
> >is needed to create the connection in the first place) if you dont
> >use it?
>
> Maybe I was using it, and will continue to use it, but I just
> disconnected its input for a little while. Suddenly, all the output
> stops. Say what?

Are you now speaking of a physical setup or about the equivalent
(i.e. all nodes above exchanged with an app) software setup?

For the physical setup you plug before the quadra (i.e. a connection
that is not visible above)? Or you plug between the quadra and the
mixer?

So in software, if you plug the not visible physical connection, nothing
will change (the quadra will sample zeroes, more or less). If you
plug between the quadra and the mixer, the samples from the quadra
go to the bitbucket and the mixer will no longer expect anything
from the quadra, as there is no longer a connection to it. So again,
no stalling occurs.

So there remains the case that you dont plug anything, but the quadra
app simply stops producing output with the connection still active.
This is obviously a bug in the quadra app (it has to be considered as
such for my model as else the mixer will stall).

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/