Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:20:22 EEST

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> [...]

Yes I think that writing such a backend/wrapper for PortAudio would not be
that difficult.
Regarding the portability of LAAGA, it's an API that can launch/mangage
multiple clients (processes/threads) which communicate each other trough some
sort of IPC.
This should make it quite portable across UNIX enviroment.
With a few tweaks it would probably be possible to run it on Windows too,
but in this case the OS does not cooperate that well in terms of low latency so
it would not be that useful.
You know, under Windows to get low latencies under Windows you need to
bypass the OS coding at a very low-level (see Steinberg with ASIO, or
gigasampler that runs the DSP code in kernel mode in order to get these low
latencies, ditto for Seersystems Reailty)
This is definitively the way we want to avoid on Linux and thanks to the
exceptional work of the lowlatency guys, we can afford to run all our DSP
stuff completely in userspace without sacrificing latency.

> BTW, is this linux-audio-dev mail list just for LAAGA, or is it for Linux
> audio development in general?? I don't want to be off-topic if I have OSS or
> ALSA or low-latency-patch questions. Thanks.

You are right, every thing that has to do with linux and audio is on-topic here.
:-)

cheers,
Benno.

http://www.linuxaudiodev.org The Home of Linux Audio Development