Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio
From: Simon Per Soren Kagedal (simon_AT_cs.uoregon.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 10:36:34 EEST

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 05:17:10PM -0700, Phil Burk wrote:

> Yes. PortAudio and LAAGA are targetting different requirements. PortAudio
> was meant to be a simple as possible interface to other audio APIs such OSS
> and WMME. Inter-application data exchange was seen as something very useful,
> but beyond the scope of PortAudio.

I have now looked around the PortAudio and PortMusic pages and it is
surely interesting stuff. Has the PortMusic project considered
defining an inter-app API? Maybe efforts could be combined, it would
be cool if there was a cross-platform community behind "(L)AAGA"...

> But I could imagine two ways in which PortAudio and LAAGA could complement
> each other. LAAGA could call PortAudio for access to actual audio HW. That

There is just the problem of abstraction layer overdose... Imagine
LAAGA (which allows different drivers) using PortAudio (which runs on
different platforms) using ALSA (which abstracts audio hardware on
Linux, but also iiuc different platforms, systems..). Then in the end
you probably have the application supporting multiple APIs... oh, and
CSL (which I think has pretty much the same scope as PA, although only
Linux and not callback-oriented) and this and that... It is just a
confusing situation which can hardly be optimal from an efficiency
standpoint. But I could be wrong.

> BTW, is this linux-audio-dev mail list just for LAAGA, or is it for Linux
> audio development in general?? I don't want to be off-topic if I have OSS or
> ALSA or low-latency-patch questions. Thanks.

Linux audio development in general. Those questions are on-topic,
although I guess specific OSS questions would be even better on
linux-sound and ALSA on alsa-devel.

Simon.