Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Robert Schrem (Robert.Schrem_AT_WiredMinds.de)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 11:37:43 EET

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 19:09, Paul Kellett wrote:
> Richard C. Burnett <burnett_AT_tality.com> wrote:
> > I agree with robby in not understanding the benefit of computing min
> > values, The top bottom is probably going to be pretty symetric for all
> > purposes, so you could just mirror it.
>
> Speech waveforms in particular can be very asymmetric, so if you want
> the peakfile display to look the same as the zoomed-out waveform you
> need + and - peaks.

Well, you will not be able to make percise zero crossin cuts
from peak file information anyway. You would have to zoom in
and then you will see the real sample data anyway.

The peak file 'waveform' display woun't look similar like the
real data. For an explantation why, look for my detailed
email a few day's back... :)

> But other types of envelope display can be useful too - a log amplitude
> scale is great for editing as you can see changes in the noise floor
> and other events too quiet to show up on a linear display.

Yes, this would be fine. Btw.: this is what I'm arguing for in
my past emails...