Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] License Concerns about ladspa.h and GPL programs
From: Richard Dobson (RWD_AT_cableinet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 12:33:03 EET

This is quite an interesting question. The usual remit of these licenses
is to allow changes ad lib, so long as the code is available to anyone.
However, an API isn't really code, but a specification, and the one
thing you don't want is people changing it ad lib! So is a license even
appropriate in this case? The API can be freely available, but
unauthorized changes must be prevented. You can reseve copyright in the
API specification document, and disallow all changes to that. GPL and
LGPL don't seem to cover this sort of question at all. Paul will have
his own insights into this question, as Csound the ~language~ is a
specification, whereas Csound the ~code~ is (largely) under the MIT
license.

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)