Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ ardour ] next step

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ ardour ] next step
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 20:46:42 EET

>Does this mean I would be able to run all of those audio applications
>simultaneously from the aes ? Would I be able to route i/o between them
>? If so, my mind reels at the possibilities...

you've got the idea :)

aes is not intended to function like something as capable as aRts. it
*is* intended to be useful in situations where aRts currently (and i
suspect more or less permanently) is not - real time low latency operations.

things can "plugin" to it, and freely use any of the available
channels of the physical audio interface, plus the 32 busses (perhaps
configurable later) it has internally. they can also have a complete
GTK+-based GUI to go with them. the only thing that the apps need to
work is an "interrupt-based"/event-loop-style operation; they provide
two callbacks:

           void process (guint32 nframes);
           void set_block_size (guint32 nframes);

its API is based around per-channel-read/write operations, and it
includes concepts based on professional audio applications, such as
hardware monitoring and changing the sample clock sync source.

note: aes does NOT provide a mixer at this time. the gain levels for
each plugin are the responsibility of each plugin; though aes will
internally cause the signals to be "mixed", it does not offer any user
interface for controlling the gains. this may, or may not change. i
suspect "not change" is more likely.

--p