Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's OSC?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's OSC?
From: Stefan Kersten (steve_AT_k-hornz.de)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 12:57:26 EEST

Kevin Conder wrote:

> I'm getting really sick of alphabet soup... can someone tell me
> what OSC is?

OSC (http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/) is a
'transport layer independent'¹ protocol for transmission of high
resolution control data. Messages are mnemonic (e.g.
/Synth/Mojo/Minime/bang!) while the definition of an application's
'address space' is completely open; one main benefit is an
extended set of data types compared to MIDI (int, float, string,
...)

<sk>

¹I really _do_ like buzzwords; ideally OSC is also JIT and of
course multimedia