Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 23:41:55 EEST

>from the cozy warmth of my asbestos overall, may i ask:
>if simebody thinks their plugin needs its very own GUI that cannot
>be represented by any xml abstraction, why not write it with
>whatever toolkit is preferred and link it statically ?

because it doesn't work. you can't have more than one instance of a
given toolkit's GUI loop within the same process (even assuming they
start their own connections to the X server, which is not true for
several toolkits, which are built around the idea of a single static
connection to the X server).

hence the proposal to run the GUI as a separate process.

>this way, everybody can do what they like best, and OTOH the severe

the current proposal allows anyone to do what they like best. they
supply a separate executable that implements the GUI for their plugin,
using any toolkit they want, and communicating with the host via OSC.

--p