Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 21:11:33 EEST

>Hey, OpenSoundControl may just be the right candidate for the
>communication part; no messing around with shared memory, but
>instead using Unix/UDP[/TCP] sockets. The plugin GUI could even
>run on a different machine or you could (given the host's OSC
>address space is standardized somehow) control a plugin's
>parameters algorithmically or whatever outside your favorite
>sequencing/programming environment. Just an idea ...

i want to thank stefan for mentioning OSC. i think this is by far the
best idea. we just have to figure out the namespace for ladspa plugins
within the host. everybody should be using OSC :) so, i suggest that
we dump the LADPSA_Parameter_Change struct, and instead plan to use
OSC. the host needs to provide "its" name and some identifier for the
plugin. these would get passed to the GUI, and then the GUI would be
sending stuff like:

        "/host's name/plugin id/control/port/port id/value"

(something like) this seems perfect to me.

--p