Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga, round 2
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 22:52:08 EEST

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> This discussion is becoming more and more not related to ALSA (although
> I'm almost sure that this is a design mistake. Future will call me
> liar).
[...]
> I'd ask that this thread continues only on linux-audio-dev.

Yes, true, we'll move the discussion to LAD. But before dropping
alsa-devel from the cc-list, I want to emphasize that at least for me,
LAAGA is still just a working name. I got interested in this project,
because the idea of audio-hw-driven apps-as-plugins system sounded very
interesting. Now we are just exploring the problem space. To do that, we
probably have to write some test code (including the laaga.h).

After this, a completely separate phase is evaluating the results. Whether
to merge LAAGA and LADSPA (ie. just use LADSPA), integrate LAAGA concept
to ALSA, default to aRts/gstreamer/whatever, continue LAAGA as a
independent project, etc, etc ... these are still open. I'm glad that we
were able to raise this much discussion right from the start. We got
comments from suprisingly many directions/projects. But as many have
already stated, now we need to move on to the 'show me the code' phase and
stop babbling. ;)

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!