Re: [linux-audio-dev] OffTopic: LAD logo

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OffTopic: LAD logo
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 21:01:40 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Maarten de Boer wrote:
> >
> > > * last date for the submission of new logos is may 14.
> > > by that time all logos need to be in final form, that is, rendered
> > > and touched up.
> > > if at all possible, there should be one really large version for
> > > banners and stuff, one web logo version and one in button format.
> >
> > Could you be more specific? Geometries?
>
> well, frank, what format do you need for submission to LinuxTag ?
> (a vectorized image is possibly the optimal solution, but can gimp
> handle these ?)

Nope, and you need a *big* bitmap for print.
The GIMP User Manual (manual.gimp.org) has some good advice on
resolution. If you haven't, I recommend reading all of chapter
14, "Pre-press and Gimp".

Short answer on resolution: 400 or more pixels per printed inch
will get you super-nice quality, 240 is enough for most
magazine-quality stuff, and for large posters that aren't viewed
close up, you can get by with considerably less, depending.
"Low-quality newsprint" is often done at 65 lpi which would
correspond to 104 ppi.

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com