Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 14:53:57 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 08:37:49AM +0200, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
> > > #define SOUNDBOX_PORT_PROPERTY_BUFFER_SHAPE /* interleaved, noninterleaved,
> > > complex */
> > >
> > > if a hardware PCM "component" exports this kind of stuff, we're in no
> > > better shape than using ALSA when it comes to abstraction.
> >
> > If I don't export it, you lose efficiency is this what you want?
> >
> > Really, but what's the problem to have a property to communicate with
> > soundbox that you *want* non interleaved buffers.
>
> I don't like hte idea that somones code won't work in a given position
> because it doesn't support one kind of buffer, I like the idea of implicit
> conversion or multiple inner loops even less however.

That's exactly my point:
- no implicit conversion
- no not-disactivable automatic pseudo-intelligent CPU consuming stuff
- maximum flexybility

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!