Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 10:37:49 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >5) Should LADSPA like plugins be supported? Mainly for operations like
> > gain and panning between plugins.
> >
> >With all of the discussion about where to add gain control, I was thinking
> >that one thing that people will probably want to do is pan the outputs of
> >a plugin to different channels of a soundcard. This seems simple, but as
> >we all know panning is not that simple (if you want equal power panning or
> >something for big multi-speaker setups). So, if it is not something with
> >a universally satisfactory answer it should be put into a plugin. I know
> >this could open a whole can of worms, but I think it would be useful to
> >throw some gain controls, or a compressor, excitor, etc., etc. between two
> >apps.
>
> I can see two answers to this.
>
> 1) LAAGA ends up using a super-set of LADSPA that is somehow back-compatible
> with LADSPA
>
> 2) a simple wrapper that converts a LADSPA plugin into a LAAGA plugin
> (along the lines of Richard's "applyplugin")
>
> the user is then free to use such objects as they see fit.

Or more simply:

3) use soundbox API for everything (and yes, we can have a soundbox that
use already written LADSPA plugins without no changes).

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!