Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 20:44:31 EEST

That is definately my understanding. I assumed also that this is why you
have 4x4 and higher midi interfaces for computers. Since your computer is
fast enough to handle more than 31.25kbs, then making parallel synced
interfaces would be a very easy solution. For my setup I have my computer
drive my Korg Triton, Boss Dr770 Drum machine and control my 2101, all
through midi. In this situation, I never have enough data on the line at
a time to cause problems. But, if I ever wanted to do live performance I
would have to use at least 4 or 5 triton modules since I use so many
sounds at a time. I do have to be careful with the controllers, and that
is another issue. That I think is why I don't understand why midi would
need to be replaced or enhanced, but, this is my limited knowledge.

I also use a midi patchbay to do all the routing and/or merging
digitally. So I use midi as one would network computers with a hub
instead of chained, like thin ethernet.

This make any sense? :)

Rick

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >>What more information do you need ? There is no way to get faster
> >>transmission speeds without buffering at one end or the other, since
> >>the ultimate target will (for many, many years) be operating at
> >>31.25kb. If this buffering exists (and it must), then the fact that
> >>the bits stream between two points on their journey at 100MB/sec
> >>doesn't do anything to alter the point-to-point speed being
> >>31.25kb. Or I am missing something ?
> >
> >with mlan, doesn't one 'speak MIDI' to a device, but at a higher
> >bitrate - or is it me who is missing something here?
>
> the end-to-end connection presumably involves a "legacy" MIDI device
> (at least it will do for many years). even if you can move data onto,
> off and along the wire much faster with ieee1394, there's nowhere for
> it to go or come from any faster than 31.25kb ...
>
> certainly, once there are numerous mlan/firewire devices out there,
> the bitrate issue becomes less significant, but i suspect that most
> MIDI setups will involve 31.25kb hardware interfaces for some time to
> come.
>
> right?
>
> --p

| T a l i t y | +------+ |