Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 00:52:45 EEST

>>What more information do you need ? There is no way to get faster
>>transmission speeds without buffering at one end or the other, since
>>the ultimate target will (for many, many years) be operating at
>>31.25kb. If this buffering exists (and it must), then the fact that
>>the bits stream between two points on their journey at 100MB/sec
>>doesn't do anything to alter the point-to-point speed being
>>31.25kb. Or I am missing something ?
>
>with mlan, doesn't one 'speak MIDI' to a device, but at a higher
>bitrate - or is it me who is missing something here?

the end-to-end connection presumably involves a "legacy" MIDI device
(at least it will do for many years). even if you can move data onto,
off and along the wire much faster with ieee1394, there's nowhere for
it to go or come from any faster than 31.25kb ...

certainly, once there are numerous mlan/firewire devices out there,
the bitrate issue becomes less significant, but i suspect that most
MIDI setups will involve 31.25kb hardware interfaces for some time to
come.

right?

--p