Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - how are we doing ?
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 18:23:51 EEST

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:07:58PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > the only obstacle so far is that the dsp-chain is mono. i don't like
> > this, but i don't have a good alternative right now. its mostly a GUI
> > issue, since it would be fairly easy to set up the outputs of the
> > plugins to point to channels, but creating a GUI to do that kind of
> > thing ("send the left output of Freeverb to bus 29, and split the
> > right output to channel 8 and back into the dsp chain") is non-trivial.
>
> I've always been in favour of just going for the Quasimodo style, cables
> and sockets approach.

This is good metaphor for certain things, but I feel that just having the
concept of 'channel N' and 'bus 29' is the limiting factor. I would
propose that an arbitrary signal flow graph like Max/MSP or PureData is
the most flexible. The studio mixing board metaphor can be built on top
of this, but there is no reason, in my view, to create arbitrary elements
like buses, channels, pre-fad send, etc, etc. This may be a good user
interface model for some users, but as an architecture this is limiting.

Karl

> - Steve

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |