Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA API
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 20:37:55 EEST

Hi,

> all documented, to some extent. jaroslav described on alsa-devel how
> to build the docs (its based on doxygen; the docs are in the source,
> and doxygen rips them out and produces some formatted files).

Hmm, ok a bit sparse the documentation, but I worked it out in the
meantime. But I have real trouble even playing sounds with 5ms latency on
my Celeron 300 laptop with Maestro2 Sound internally. The laptop isn't
loaded at all during playback, harddisk is DMA and even touching nothing I
get dropouts. Mouseklicks are really bad... I get heaps of drop outs.
Doesn't happen with the oss driver though. Maybe I should subscribe on
alsa-devel as well and see what they're thinking. Is it actually possible
to set the period_size smaller than 5000? On my dual PIII 600 and the
Hoontech YMF 755 Card I have no probs, but I don't get lower than 5ms
either. I'm just playing around with glame to get sort of "real time"
processing. At the moment you can plug in a guitar, apply a nice flanger
effect. But you can still feel the round abound 10ms latency while
playing.

Cheers, Alex

--

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain