Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 17:03:01 EEST

Steve wrote:

> > >I get 150-250usec (yes, microseconds) roundtrip through 100mbps switch.
> >
> > is this on a previously quiescent connection (TCP or UDP) ? my
> > impression is that once things get rolling round trip times are pretty
> > good, but that moving a packet or two when there's been no traffic in
> > a few msecs produces much worse numbers. my impression may be wrong.
>
> Over ethernet it seem to be only the first packet that is slow, probably
> depends on the make of switch though.

IIRC, there was a longer ping time for me even when I had two systems
connected with a crossover cable and no switch/hub.

> But as Paul said these times are too slow to be useful.

Well, to be useful for what? For some purposes (such as audio playback
over the network) less than a millisecond of delay is super.

It would also be acceptable for a system that is running a software
synthesizer and sending an audio stream to a multitrack recorder on
another system. It might be better than using an analog or optical
connection through a sound card(?).

For software that is mostly running on one system, and trying to use
a few plugins over a network connection, then it is not so good!

- Jay Ts
jayts_AT_bigfoot.com