Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 16:42:23 EEST

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:53:56PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > Over ethernet it seem to be only the first packet that is slow, probably
> > depends on the make of switch though. Unswitched private networks should
> > be fine. But as Paul said these times are too slow to be useful.
>
> are there any obstacles in this setup i have overlooked ?
> from my experience, ping latency is well below 500 usecs. if that's
> a measure for the actual audio latency, we'll be doing fine.

Thats a measure of the minimum extra overhead, in practice it will be a
lot higher as you will have to pull the data from the packet process it
wrapper it back up again and send it back.

Also remeber you have to reassemble the packets in the right order as the
ordering is not guaranteed.

I might try some benchmarks if anyone is interested. I'm guessing that you
really need gigabit though. IP over SCSI or 1395 might be an option, but
that's far more exotic.

- Steve