RE: [linux-audio-dev] Gigabit ethernet to stream audio

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Gigabit ethernet to stream audio
From: STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 21:46:43 EEST

  ethernet and tcp/ip are different layers, ethernet is somewhere in the
range 1-2, tcp/ip in 3-6 (or something like that). even if they don't use
tcp/ip (the article does not say) they have to use some protocol upon
ethernet. However the following sentence: "The Disney network makes
extensive use of standard protocols, including SNMP." suggests that they use
tcp/ip (standard protocols). I can imagine that they also use other
protocols (SMB, IPX etc.)

  to continue nitpicking: udp is part of tcp/ip (see e.g.
http://info.acm.org/crossroads/xrds1-1/tcpjmy.html)

        erik