Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 07:26:33 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> > my understanding is that when packets get routed via different
> > paths, they might become shuffled, but not on a static route.
>
> Collisions. The packets back off (exponentially I think) so they can get
> shuffled easily.
> There is more going on over ethernet than you think.
> - Steve

Hm, but the packets get sent in order, don't they ?
So when there is a collision, the ethernet card waits to resend the packet for
which a collision happened, for some random time (exponentially increasing in
case of another collision). But that cannot mean, that a packet that is after
this packet in the queue, gets sent before this very packet is succesfully sent,
or is it ?

Please explain more if I'm wrong.

Regards
Vincent