Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_black.clarku.edu)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 23:52:26 EEST

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Darwin Marcus Johnson wrote:

> > Collisions. The packets back off (exponentially I think) so they can get
> > shuffled easily.
> >
> > There is more going on over ethernet than you think.
> >
> could this be avoided using two interfaces, and no hub?

It seems to me that the problem is that UDP makes absolutly no promise
about the order the packets come in. So even with a certain hardware
setup that maintains the packet order (if such a thing is even possible),
there would still need to be code to handle the out of order situation or
it would be incorrect. And even if the packets were in order 99% of the
time, the 1% would still have to be handled. So it's not a matter of
removing the traffic from the link.

Taybin Rutkin