Re: [linux-audio-dev] developers and development: some thoughts

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] developers and development: some thoughts
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 20:07:55 EEST

>From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>
>
>see it continue so. However, I'm wondering if perhaps it isn't time to
>split LAD into something like the comp.os.linux.development newsgroup,
>where there is a further division into c.o.l.d.system and c.o.l.d.apps.

I don't see a need for exactly the above division. What do you mean by
"system"? Following division would make more sense (you also suggested
it implicitly yourself):

LAD/devel -- developers of Linux audio software
LAD/users -- users of Linux audio software
LAD/announce -- moderated? co-working with your webpages?

> What audio software does Linux need ?
> How can I use [some Linux audio app here] in a production environment
>?
> Where can I find software that does [your special needs here] ?

LAD/users

> Who do I talk to about developing custom audio software ?
> Where are we heading ? Who decides how we get there ?
> Is anyone else interested in [your interest here] ?

LAD/devel

> How do I get started using this cool stuff ?
> Why is it so difficult to set up [random Linux audio app here] ?
> What should I use if want to [special purpose here] ?

LAD/users (except if one is trying to use some library in her software)

>I've received some messages
>from disgruntled developers who felt that traffic is rather heavily
>dominated by only a few people, but I see that as a natural outcome of

Maybe they are too shy to step in? That is not the mailing list problem.
If one is developing a software, she should step in and just start
talking if there is a need for that. I would be happy to discuss about
audiowave editors and code them if just we agree what should be implemented.
(I'm now looking at EDL stuff again... anyone?)

Best regards,

Juhana