Re: [linux-audio-dev] New speakers being developed.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New speakers being developed.
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 17:52:20 EEST

I would think there would have to be moving parts of some sort, like the
plastic itself, since sound is created through disturbances in the air (or
any transmission medium). I wonder what kind of distortion they are going
to get with bass frequencies. I think the problem is going to be, here
you apply a signal to the plastic, how long after the signal is removed
does the plastic continue to move and affect the next sound. Then I
wonder, what about the size, its sure to affect the quality based on the
frequency, as those plastic sheets if they are suspended at each end are
going to have some resenant frequency. Does sound neat though.

In case you all didn't know, IBM has developed a flexable transistor that
is created at low temperatures. Now, they are working with this in
building a new type of screen. The article I read said something like
imagine rolling out your TV screen onto a wall. I think though that the
real problem will still be in the back lighting, but they think these new
transistors will enhance displays tremendously. I just hope they work to
make them less noisy so I can use some sort of flat panel with my studio
setup.

Rick

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:13:51AM +0200, Adriaan Pelzer wrote:
> > What's the difference between these and Electrostatic speakers?
>
> If its th same flat panel speakers I've heard then the sound quality isn;t
> a patch on electrostatics, but these have just tiny moving parts on a
> perspex panel, wheres electro statics are huge, require massive amps and
> the mylar sheets do move a fair bit.
>
> - Steve

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |