Re: [linux-audio-dev] New speakers being developed.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New speakers being developed.
From: Scott McNab (sdm_AT_fractalgraphics.com.au)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 04:55:59 EEST

"Richard C. Burnett" wrote:

> I would think there would have to be moving parts of some sort, like the
> plastic itself, since sound is created through disturbances in the air (or
> any transmission medium). I wonder what kind of distortion they are going
> to get with bass frequencies. I think the problem is going to be, here
> you apply a signal to the plastic, how long after the signal is removed
> does the plastic continue to move and affect the next sound. Then I
> wonder, what about the size, its sure to affect the quality based on the
> frequency, as those plastic sheets if they are suspended at each end are
> going to have some resenant frequency. Does sound neat though.

The best idea I've heard was from a while ago where someone has made
speakers that emit sound modulated at ultrasonic frequencies way above
normal hearing range. By directing two speakers at different angles the
sound waves would recombine in a single region in space and would
interfere with each other in such a way that the ultrasonic carrier
frequencies would cancel each other out and the listener would hear
only the resulting audio.

Apparantly its possible to achieve excellent dynamic range and frequency
response since the sound volume and quality is not dependent on
accurately
shifting large volumes of air.

Obvious drawback (or feature perhaps?) is that the sound can only be
heard if the listener's head is in exactly the right place - otherwise
you
can't hear anything at all. Plus there is the general problem I'd have
being comfortable with exposing my eardrums to high-powered ultrasound
for extended periods of time!

Scott