Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 00:13:55 EEST

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:51:24AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > That said, for single point-to-point streams it might be OK, I might
> > borrow some of the ATM hardware when it gets checked and test it. There
> > must be loads of businesses throwing it out around now, but its kinda
> > large, you wouldn't really want it in your house. Would be OK in a studio.
>
> Er... ATM is a *protocol*, not a *physical link layer*. ATM usage is
> growing not shrinking and I dont know any businesses "throwing it out".
> With the extensive growth of broadband the last 2 years the amount of ATM
> deployed has increased substantially and will continue to do so.

Sorry, I thought ATM refered to the fibre too. There *are* a lot of people
throwing out ATM kit, because Newbridge's ATM customers have found
themselves with unsupported hardware, and the company that bought
Newbridge (can't remember who) is virtually paying us to replace it with
gigabit.

ATM is still used by telecoms people ofcourse, I was refering to its use
in computer networks.

- Steve