Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 00:27:34 EEST

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> Sorry, I thought ATM refered to the fibre too. There *are* a lot of people
> throwing out ATM kit, because Newbridge's ATM customers have found
> themselves with unsupported hardware, and the company that bought
> Newbridge (can't remember who) is virtually paying us to replace it with
> gigabit.

gbe is the new commodity broadband, but you can still run ATM over it B)

remember ethernet (10bt,100bt,1000bt) only specifies the physical layer
and encoding method/framing. you can still run ipx/spx, ethertalk, ip,
atm, or anything else you want over it. you could even write up an
audio-over-ethernet packet type.

still I suspect even the worst case latency for full duplex 100baseT is
still sufficient for most audio. I mean, people are running "pro" audio
gear on USB which has much worse latency and no real QOS guarantees
either.

of course you can use firewire if you need QOS guarantees for devices.

> ATM is still used by telecoms people ofcourse, I was refering to its use
> in computer networks.

a number of tier1 IP providers use exclusively ATM... presumably they like
it because of the QOS guarantees they can make with ATM.

-Dan