Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 00:14:29 EEST

   Ok, I think I might be confused, but packet resending I thought was deeper
   than TCP/IP, I thought it was apart of the ethernet protocol ( isn't it
   802.3 or something like that ) And how it works is if there is a hardware
   detected collision the NIC will wait a random amount of time before
   resending. It will do this a few times and then after so many it will
   just quit.

There are retransmits at different levels. As you point out, Ethernet
is unreliable -- it will retransmit on collisions, and eventually
maybe give up. TCP is a reliable protocol built on top of an
unreliable data link layer; it guarantees that no matter what happens
at lower levels, your packets will get through. So even if the
Ethernet level gives up on a packet and drops it, the TCP level will
ask the other end to send it again.

   Now what about full and half duplex, if you had just two systems in full
   duplex, what would happen there, you wouldn't have collisions for two
   machines I don't think.

I expect you're right.

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002