Re: [linux-audio-dev] MidiShare

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MidiShare
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 19:02:26 EET

Kasper Souren wrote:

> Hoi!
>
> Does anybody have experience with using MidiShare as a MIDI library? It
> seems interesting, and I think it's a nice feature that it's available on
> many platforms.
>
> But I couldn't find an .rpm or .deb package, and the .tar.gz gives me an
> error while compiling on my Debian unstable.
>
> My task is to port Autobusk (an Atari program which is capable of generating
> very interesting MIDI notes) to Linux. But it would be nice if it the
> porting to other platforms would be easy after I've done the porting to
> Linux. The program is written in Pascal, so I'm thinking of using Kylix or
> Free Pascal. Does anybody have experience with using Kylix?

never used it myself, but a german linux magazine wrote a review and
they hated it. otoh, it was mainly stability issues of the
overpriced professional version, and i think there's a free edition
which might be ok.

as to free pascal, i've been doing some cs homework with it lately -
we were to implement some basic algos and the tutor couldn't read c,
so i had to port my stuff. from that experience i can say that the
fp code is quite a bit slower compared to gcc (only bare-bones
pointer-list operations and some integer math, no i/o), so i don't
know how well it deals with massive sound computations.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany